The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, has assured all that at least 10 major road and infrastructure projects in Abuja will be completed and ready for inauguration before the 2027 general elections.

Wike gave the assurance on Wednesday while inspecting the ongoing Tungan Madaki-Zuba Road and Nile University-RR3 Road projects in the Federal Capital Territory.

According to a statement issued by the minister’s Senior Special Assistant on Public Communication and Social Media, Lere Olayinka, the minister said the inspection was aimed at assessing the progress of projects inaugurated during the FCT Administration’s third anniversary and determining whether the contractors would meet their delivery commitments ahead of the 2027 elections.

At the Tungan Madaki-Zuba Road project, Wike disclosed that five of the six box culverts had been completed, describing the pace of work as commendable.

He said the contractor, China Geo-Engineering Corporation, had assured the administration that the project would be completed and handed over by December.

“They have the capacity. I mean, they are not a new company. They have the capacity, they have the equipment. What’s important is if you have the equipment, and they have the equipment as part of capacity. So, they’ve been tested before now, so I have so much confidence in them,” Wike said.

The minister commended the contractor for its commitment to the project, noting that the company had demonstrated the capacity and willingness to contribute to the development of the FCT.

He, however, disclosed that the projects were capital-intensive and that some contractors had not received up to 30 per cent mobilisation despite continuing with the work.

Wike assured the contractors that the FCT Administration would fulfil its financial obligations to ensure that the projects were completed within schedule.

The minister said the administration was working towards having 10 major projects completed and ready for commissioning before the 2027 elections.

“We are also visiting some other two projects tomorrow, believing that by the end of the year, we would have had up to 10 projects, as promised, lined up for commissioning before the general election,” he said.

The statement also reiterated that the FCT Administration had intensified efforts to tackle flooding through the removal of structures obstructing waterways across Abuja.

It stated that the FCT minister said the demolition exercise, which commenced in Maitama on Tuesday, would be extended to other parts of the capital where waterways had been blocked by structures.

“We’ve just started somewhere. After that, we will move to another area. We are not going to end just with what we started yesterday,” Wike said.

The minister further disclosed that the Director of Development Control was being queried over approvals allegedly granted to car dealers to operate on designated green areas.

He directed the immediate removal of car dealerships operating on such spaces, stressing that green areas must be preserved for recreational and environmental purposes.